Saturday, January 03, 2015

2014 by the Numbers

I've always claimed to hate math, but I like statistics and lists. Go figure. Looking at 2014 by the numbers, I managed 138 separate posts here, which is exactly 100 more posts than I managed to squeeze out of my brain in 2013. I'm not sure why that is. I didn't make any resolutions or vows or anything like that. I guess I've just felt like writing more recently.

I uploaded 40 separate posts over at my music blog, which more or less means I went to 40 shows this year. This is exactly the same number of posts I managed to produce the previous year.

Overall, this means I wrote 178 blog entries this year, although the length and quality of all of these varies greatly. I'm not making any vows or promises to write more for 2015, but if I keep up my current momentum, it will happen naturally.

I've already seen two movies this year. On Thursday, we went to see "The Woman In Black: Angel of Death", and while I enjoyed it, I enjoyed the first one (not to mention the stage version, which I've seen twice now - once in London and once in Walnut Creek, of all places) better. It's good to see Hammer producing films again though. The sets were appropriately atmospheric and eerie, old-school style, and I loved the scenes where the ghost is in the frame in such a way that she isn't seen until she moves. This kind of trickery makes movies like this fun to watch, and I may even have to watch it again to see if I can catch the ghosts before they move.

This afternoon, I took Willow to see the third Hunger Games movie, and it was good too. This series is grim fare when once considers its intended audience is teenagers. I doubt either of these will rank amongst my favorites of the year, but 2015 is only days old. I'm not sure what my favorite film of 2014 was, but Jodorowsky's "Dance of Reality" is definitely a contender. "Under the Skin" was really good too.

No comments: