Thursday, January 08, 2015

Nocturnal Garden Activity

My work week continues to flow smoothly, untouched by any ripples of unrest. When I got to work last night, my friend/coworker Bat mentioned that there were piles of scat on the benches in the garden, near our compost area. The scat looked to me like bobcat, or possibly coyote. Some looked a bit like raccoon leavings. That said, the placement on benches looked to me like something a grey fox might do, although most of the scat looked too big to have come out of the back end of a fox.

So I set up my trailcam.





This handsome little fellow is a grey fox, which of course doesn't mean that he's responsible for the scat. In the last photo, you can see him (or her, I'm not sure) giving one of the stinky piles a good sniffing. In total, I got 54 photos, but given the nature of infrared motion sensor cameras, most of them weren't the best quality. I'm told that there is a coyote who has been hanging around lately, so I'll probably set up the camera again tonight.

Speaking of grey foxes, next month one of my old high school teachers (my creative writing teacher, to be precise), who is now a grey fox researcher, is coming up to our camp to give us a presentation on foxes. I'm looking forward to it. Check out his website here.

No comments: