Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Camp Chaos

The first night of camp this week was busier than the usual Monday, with campers visiting the hub regularly throughout the night. One boy complained of severe nausea, and we couldn't reach his parents by phone, so I ended up sending him back to bed. I think he was just homesick anyway. The cabin leaders who would be heading to our other site in the morning stayed up too late, which irritated me because they're supposed to be on the adult side of the equation, not acting like campers. Add to this the usual assortment of headaches, vomit, and nosebleeds, and we've got a full work night.

There is a girl with diabetes at camp this week, and she has this innovative wireless blood glucose monitoring system which sounds an alarm when levels aren't within a defined range. I was pretty excited to learn that such a thing exists, although after talking to her dad on the phone, I learned that it's new enough to not be FDA approved (if I remember what he said correctly), and that it still has some glitches. The issue for me was that the range was small enough that I actually had to stand inside the girl's cabin to get a reading. I had initially expected to be able to do this from the comfort of my chair in the other building. It's just as well though, because I had to wake her up so she could have some glucose tablets. It's good that this kind of technology exists, and I hope it enters into wide usage.

It was also windy enough to cause doors to bang open and lighter objects to skitter across the cement. One of those objects was the clock hanging on the wall outside.


In the morning, it almost rained. A few desultory water molecules drifted down, and then dry January shrugged its shoulders and continued its parched trek toward February. This month's rainfall totals won't be measured in inches, but in drops.

No comments: