Wednesday, January 07, 2015

An Easy Start

My work week has been ridiculously easy so far, with only around 130 kids at camp. Not only is the number small, but the kids are well-behaved too. The weather has been clear and mild, but the just-past-full moon has interfered with my ability to see comet Lovejoy, which at the moment should be moving into the Taurus constellation.

While the kids are sleeping, I've been killing time watching season one of Orphan Black, and enjoying it immensely (thanks to my brother for lending two seasons to me). I'm also reading "The Sunrise Lands", by S.M. Stirling, which is the fourth book in his Emberverse series, which takes place in a United States where all modern technology has mysteriously ceased to function. It's just the sort of thing that appeals to me. Imagine medieval warfare taking place in modern Oregon, add in fun things like cannibals and tons of Lord of the Rings references, and you have a recipe for fun. Finally, I've been continuing my habit of walking 2 miles a night while listening to music. This week, it's the massive new Leonard Cohen triple "Live in Dublin" set. Leonard Cohen and walking in the dark go well together. Quality entertainment all around, I'd say.

The only incident of note so far was the mysterious beeping sound emanating from one of the cabins, which was brought to my attention by an irritated trio of boys who had been awakened by it two mornings in a row. On the first morning, it had stopped by the time I got to the cabin, so I didn't follow up on it other than to make sure the cabin leaders didn't have phones with them. On the second morning, the sound was revealed to be coming from an iPad mini, which is definitely not on the packing list given to campers. In fact, this kind of thing is on the "do not bring" list, so I confiscated it and handed it off to his teacher.

Suddenly, it's Wednesday evening, and almost time to head back to work.

No comments: