Thursday, January 15, 2015

Oh, Poop

The sky is covered with a wet blanket of grey, but it's not likely to condense and fall. It has been cold though,at least by local standards, with temperatures plummeting into the thirties at night.

The work week is mostly over now. It hasn't been quite as smooth as last week though. Tuesday night, a boy showed up in the hub along with his cabin leader, complaining of a stomach ache. I asked the usual diagnostic questions and then concluded that the boy needed to go sit on the toilet for awhile. His response was, "but I don't have to go." Despite my gut feeling about his gut feeling, I got him a hot water bottle to help soothe his stomach, and sent him back to bed. Ten or fifteen minutes later, he was back, covered in his own poop. How he managed to get it on the front of his shorts and all over his sweatjacket, I'm not sure. A shower and some laundry-doing followed.

This type of scenario is familiar. A kid will come in with a complaint of some type and ask for help, and then will neglect to include some crucial bit of information that will help us diagnose the problem, or (as in this case), initially refuse to do what we advise. I don't buy for a minute that "I don't have to poop" becomes "oops, I just crapped myself" within a quarter of an hour.

This all happened about an hour and a half after another kid from the same cabin peed himself, making it a laundry-heavy night.

I've been setting up my trailcam each night too, although I haven't gotten a single photo this week. Maybe last week was a fluke. It doesn't hurt to keep trying though. I'd better go recharge the batteries so I can try again tonight.

No comments: