Wednesday, August 24, 2005



Yep. I spent the day filling in for the janitor. While cleaning toilets, I kept having this strange compulsion to march, which I blame on the fact that high school marching band members were practicing their drumming on the field nearby. Unfortunately, it is impossible to do these two things at once, both physically and psychologically.

Later, after spending a good chunk of the money we got for the van on food at Trader Joe's, we came home to find a new snake on the doorstep. It was in the cage that I'd transferred the Bullfrog tadpoles from. I'd left the cage outside because it belongs to the school, and I have yet to return it. Being a procrastinator, I haven't gotten around to actually putting it in my car or anything. Good thing too. After going inside and checking the messages, we, as I suspected, found out that K had gotten a call from her old neighbors about a snake in their yard. She'd gone to check it out and found a California Kingsnake, not her sister's python like she had been expecting. I suspect this particular Kingsnake, native though it is, probably escaped from somebody's house. Some kid probably caught it, and being inexperienced, put it in an improperly secured cage. It would be unusual to find a wild snake that far into suburbia on its own. Unusual, but not impossible, of course. Anyway, I'm going to let it go up in the hills.

Life's little surprises...

No comments: