Wednesday, August 03, 2005



So the monitor (computer, not lizard - the lizard is fine) died and was resurrected. Jen noted that it was probably a sign that she was spending too much time on the computer. This is probably the case for both of us. It's not like we don't stuff plenty of other things into our days though.

For instance, today I took my group of campers to the makeshift archery range that we've set up in the lower field. Most of the kids had a great time shooting at the targets. Especially the Barney one. A couple of the girls decided that their time would be better spent braiding my hair, and then putting it into a bun, which I let them do only because otherwise they would have been bored waiting for all of the budding archers to finish up. I sometimes leave work with my hair done up in some crazy fashion. It's easy to forget about if I don't happen to pass a mirror. After archery, we hiked to the creek and around the pond. Later, after lunch, we went down to the high ropes course so kids could climb trees and inch their way across cables and logs 35 feet above the forest floor. The reward at the end of this is the zip slide, a cable-guided plummet through the trees. Most of the kids did fine. A few had to be coaxed across. A couple didn't make it. It sometimes takes time for these kids to realize that they really haven't failed at anything. The terrified kids are performing acts of courage, while the others are merely having a good time. Trying to do something that scares you, no matter the outcome, can only end in personal success.

At home, it is hot and sticky. Crickets are chirping. Coincidentally, I'm listening to a band called Bug Guts, who angrily sing about the state of our world. Sort of like a musical version of Earth First! Sing loud!

Todays pictures are of a Hazelnut tree, still managing to catch some sun under the towering Redwoods, and an Anise Swallowtail butterfly with the duckweed covered pond in the background. I almost stepped on a Garter snake while inching forward to get this shot. I think it was the same snake I caught yesterday, but couldn't really tell because it slid over a Poison Oak festooned drop off towards the pond. Speaking of Poison Oak, I seem to have it again. I've got itchy spots all over my knees and arms. It's not summer without it.

No comments: