Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Today was a departure from my normal work schedule. I went to a bland, brick building in San Jose, along with twenty or so other people and spent the day learning the ins and outs of supervising weekend work crews from a woman who could have been a stand-up comedian so I can be an official supervisor this season. I will probably end up supervising the cleaning crew at the site every other Sunday, with the new janitor handling it when I'm not there. We have to go through all of this official training because the work crew people are inmates. They are given a choice of jail time or paying their way into a work program like this one. We've all seen the people in orange vests picking up trash alongside the freeways. Well, some of them luck out and don't have to face the terror of knowing that the people driving by them at high rates of speed might just be drunk like they were when they got caught. Okay, that's not quite fair. I'm sure some of them got busted for reasons other than D.U.I. Anyway, I'll be there, working overtime, supervising a bunch of people who are actually paying to work. Life is funny sometimes. For me, not for them.

It's hot and the crickets are chirping. Willow was grouchy this evening so I took her out to look at the stars. It calmed her down. It's funny how objects trillions of miles away sometimes have to be called upon to help get the kids to bed.

No comments: