Tuesday, August 23, 2005


Today I got paid for hanging out at a barbeque. Okay, I actually had to drive various barbeque-related items over to the hostel adjacent to our site, and I had to light the grille. Poor me. I also got to eat barbequed veggie burgers and help myself to soda and cookies. Poor, poor me. I am so overworked.

This was the first time I'd been inside the hostel. I've been walking past it for years, but have never before had a reason to go inside. It has a beautiful, log-cabin exterior, and as my co-worker said, "it's kind of like visiting grandma's house." It really takes you back in time. In the trees, a pair of ravens held a long-winded conversation. On the ground, some doofus blocked me in with his SUV. When I asked him to move, he drove to the other end of the parking lot and blocked in the lady who runs the hostel. She called him all sorts of unpleasant names, but not to his face since by that time he was off galavanting around out of earshot. If people still rode horses instead of these steel monsters this sort of thing would never happen.

Then I spent the afternoon being a janitor because the real janitor had hurt his foot. Perhaps he hurt it kicking members of the band camp who don't seem to get the concept of recycling.

After I got home, we went to the park for a birthday celebration for Jen's stepdad. The kids had fun. The cake had inches of frosting. The sunlight slanted through the trees. Night fell. Home again, home again. I don't think the coffee will help much tonight.

No comments: