Friday, August 12, 2005

I took the boys to see A Midsummer Night's Dream last night. It took place in the cafeteria at the old location of Lexy's old school. Lexy, ever the dramatist, shuffled along quietly lamenting, "so many memories, so many memories..."

The cast of the play ranged in age from 6 to 19, and included a couple of good violinists and a gymnast (in the role of Puck). A girl that was in the Nature's Drama camp I taught back in June had a small role as Cobweb, which was how I found out about this performance in the first place. I found it inspiring that there are still kids this age who spend their summers doing this kind of thing. It makes me want to reinvestigate Shakespeare as well. Not sure if that will actually happen, but we'll see.

At the first intermission (the play was about two and a half hours long, with two intermissions) both Lexy and Nate fessed up that they had no idea what was going on. Nate claimed to really enjoy it, but looked crestfallen when he found out that there were two more acts to go. At that point, I explained the story to them a little and told them to watch what the actors were doing. Actions speak louder than words, I guess. By the end of it all, they were having a great time.

I got to sleep in today as well, since Jen needed me to watch the kids so she could go to a dentist appointment. When I finally got to work, it was to discover that one of the big, walk-in freezers behind the dining hall had failed. I helped schlep all of the food over to the other freezer. Unfortunately, the dead freezer was the one with the ice cream. Fortunately, we had milkshakes instead of cones today, mixing the half melted glop with milk.

Next week it's back to doing the summer camp thing. There's actually a cool breeze coming through the window right now. Wonder of wonders!

The Dickens is currently sitting in the bathroom refusing to have her butt wiped. By me, anyway. "I WANT MAMA! YOU GO WAY"

No comments: