Wednesday, June 30, 2004

At exactly 1:08 am, I threw my last paper out the window and watched it bounce across a parking lot. I am no longer a paperboy.

The accompanying ritual for this event involved listening to Hellhound's "Ice Age" cd. This is because their bass player was instrumental (pun probably intended) in me becoming a paperboy in the first place. This was back in 1988, when he mentioned to me that he was quitting his Wall St. Journal route, and wondered if I'd be interested in taking over. So here I am, 16 years later, listening to him play music on my last night of work. During this time, Hellhound (who haven't existed in almost as long a time) went from being a cutting edge heavy metal band (the thrash metal genre was still in its infancy) to sounding "old school". Not that this is a bad thing, of course. Real music defies genres. Real people defy genres as well. ...and tired people ramble.

cds I listened to as I emptied my car of newspapers for the last time: Eric Mcfadden "Devil Moon", Jesse Sykes & the Sweet Hereafter "Oh, My Girl", Steve Von Till "If I Should Fall to the Field", Hellhound "Ice Age", and Tim Eriksen "Every Sound Below"

No comments: