Friday, January 02, 2004

Our New Year's plans didn't quite come to fruition. I ended up in the City with the usual crowd, but the show we wanted to see was sold out. This came as a bit of a surprise because the venue has never sold advance tickets before (as far as we know). Being friends with the band didn't help either, because their guest list was already full and the club was being very firm about the rules because a visit from the fire marshal was expected (although that might have been a line, because he was probably helping oversee the fireworks...)
So instead, we stayed outside for a bit, visiting with Dawn McCarthy, who informed us that it was the twelfth day of Yule, a day upon which oaths are traditionally made. Faced with the sudden need for oaths, we all thought quickly. The first thing that popped into my head was that I need a job that is full time, pays at least $15 an hour, and has health benefits attached to it. It also has to be something that I will enjoy doing. My oath is that I will have such a job before the year is out. M's oath was that he would also have a new job. G's oath was that he would help M find a new job. D wants to be out of debt. Dawn is swearing off white sugar. There's lots of other things I want to work my way towards as well. I want to take more care of myself and my loved ones. I want to be more organized. I want to draw and write more. I also want to be out of debt.
Then, with our oaths made, we drove to the far end of Golden Gate Park, near the beach, and wandered into the darkness beneath an old windmill that looms there. We got out little musical instruments and improvised for nearly an hour. Some other people walked into this section of the park towards the end, but were quickly scared off by the unexpected noises emanating from the shadows.
Then we went back to the venue where we were once more denied entrance. Behind and above us the fireworks exploded in the sky above the Bay Bridge. Drunken shouting surrounded us. For better or for worse, 2004 is here. Kind of arbitrary isn't it?

Tonight, I witnessed something that was sad. It may have a happy ending, but in real life we don't always get to stick around for the story to play out. As I delivered papers in the last apartment complex of the evening, I saw a couple walking disconsolately along. The woman dangled a cat toy from one hand. As I approached, the man asked me if I had seen a little cat anywhere nearby. I responded that I hadn't, but asked for a description and promised to keep an eye out.

I hope they find the cat.

cds I listened to while realizing that "oath" is a much stronger word than "resolution": G.I.S.M. "SoniCRIME TheRapy", DD Synthesis "Swinging Macedonia", and Strebers "Blod Svet & Tarar - 85 - 92"

No comments: