Monday, January 26, 2004

In a room in an apartment building on my route there is an alarm clock that has been beeping for at least five days now. The window is open, letting the sound float out into the night. I wonder if the inhabitants of this apartment are away on business, or perhaps on vacation. Perhaps they are all dead in bed, although after five days or more there would probably be an accompanying odor. Maybe somebody is just really sleepy, and can't seem to manage to get up for work. If this is the case, this unknown person has my sympathy. I have always hated alarm clocks, and wish we lived in a society where they weren't necessary. If you have to be awakened by one, then you haven't gotten enough sleep. I use mine less than most - only tuesday through friday. Even this leaves me tired by the weekend. I always have more energy on sunday night than any other night of the week, no doubt due to the fact that I can sleep in on saturday and sunday. As the week progresses, I get slower and slower. I am reminded of a headline I read the other day on the Yahoo news page. It was something like, "lack of sleep impairs creativity". No shit. Lack of sleep impairs everything. Why do they even have to do studies like this? That said, here I am typing away at 2:45 in the morning, and after I finish I'm going to go read, not sleep.

The moon was a smiling crescent tonight, and the forecasters promise rain later on this week. Hooray!

cds I listened to while being smiled at by the moon: Varttina "Iki", DD Synthesis "s/t", Sixteen Horsepower "Folklore", Amebix "Make Some Fucking Noise!", Circle "Alotus", and Songs: Ohia "Ghost Tropic"

No comments: