Monday, August 18, 2003

It's nice not to have worms (on the computer and elsewhere). It's also nice to know people who can help you with computer problems. Thanks Jeremy! After Jeremy left yesterday, I was thinking about how much people usually have to pay for services of this sort - fixing complicated things like computers, cars, financial situations, emotional problems, health problems, and a whole host of other things that I'm sure I could think of if I applied myself to the task. This thought led me to thinking that, due to the current shakiness of the economy, people often just don't have the money to spare for such things. It's time to reintroduce the barter system. Everybody pick up pen and paper and make a list of everybody you know. Then make a list of helpful skills each of these people has. Some people can fix things. Some people make things. Some people cook really well. Some people drive. Some seem to like accounting. Next, call all of these people up and see if they would be interested in bartering for their skills. Everybody has something to offer. To hell with "the system"! Let's get away from money as much as we can. Cut out the middleman. Hunt and gather. Forage. Scrounge. Make useful things out of cast-offs and bits of garbage.

Yeah, I know this probably sounds better on paper than it would work in real life. It's worth a try though.

I borrowed a van from Jen's mom yesterday, so I wouldn't have a repeat stalling experience with ours. It worked really well. I brought along my discman so I could listen to cds, hoping I wouldn't be spotted by the law and pulled over. It's kind of funny really. It's not like I can hear anything besides the music with the car stereo on either.

I'm back on my old schedule now - doing two routes at night and sleeping until noon. Where has the summer gone? I'm not sure when I'm going to pick up more hours at the museum. I filled out an availability form on saturday, so I guess that whenever they make the next schedule I'll be on it more fully. For now, I think I'll enjoy being shiftless and lazy.

cds l listened to while driving a van that is about eight years older than my car, but has fewer miles on it: Vasilisk "Liberation and Ecstacy", Vitriol "s/t", Volcano the Bear "Volve" and "Volvfur", and Roy Harper "Burn the World"

No comments: