Tuesday, August 26, 2003

If anybody wonders where all of the Latvian expatriates were last night, they were all at a bar in Ben Lomond, watching Ilgi perform. Ilgi play updated versions of old Latvian folk songs. Updated means that, in addition to traditional instruments such as bagpipe, violin, and a couple of other things that I don't know how to spell or pronounce (one, I think, was called a giga - basically a two stringed instrument that is played like a contrabass. The other one resembled a kantele), they use electric guitar, bass, and a drumset. M. and I, even though we don't contain a drop of Latvian blood between us, were also there. It was groovy.

Later, on the way to work, and while working, I saw more lightning than I've ever seen in one night before. It was beautiful. Some of it was right overhead. Some of it was cracking and flashing out towards the Central Valley. Huge forks of it split the sky and underlit the clouds. A few fat raindrops fell. It actually rained pretty hard for a little while. I wondered if the Latvians were enjoying it.

I think I inadvertently delivered a stinkpaper to somebody tonight. In order for a newspaper to become a stinkpaper, it has to surprise a skunk upon landing. The skunk was so surprised that his tail shot straight up in the air. Whether or not he sprayed the paper is unknown. I'll bet the Latvians would have thought it was funny.

cds I listened to while hoping I wouldn't get hit by lightning: Yasnaia "Oniro", Kathleen Yearwood "Book of Hate", and Pearls Before Swine "Jewels Were the Stars"

No comments: