Friday, August 22, 2003

I feel like I live in the monkey house at the zoo sometimes. The Dickens, not content to merely poop on the floor, has started flinging it at people. I was her first target. Luckily it was compressed enough to bounce off without doing any damage.

The change in my schedule has left me feeling a bit jet-lagged. I went from the early morning camp routine to my current (and pre-camp) habit of staying in bed until noon, or later. This has allowed me to catch up on my reading at night, which is a good thing, but I find that without a fixed set of things to do during the day I sometimes feel kind of lethargic, like I'm drifting aimlessly. This will change soon, when I start in at the museum again, so I guess I'll just enjoy staying up until almost sunrise and reading. I can still remember doing that as a kid. I'd get so engrossed in a book that it would be a complete surprise when my room started getting lighter. That's a good childhood memory - that freedom to be able to read lengthy books cover to cover without a) falling asleep due to general exhaustion, b) constantly getting interrupted, or c) feeling guilty for spending so much time away from one's responsibilities.

I just read a news article about a group called Earth Liberation Front setting fire to a bunch of those obscene humvee-like SUVs. I'm glad somebody is doing it. Those things are absolutely ridiculous in every way - ostentatious, polluting, space hogging pieces of crap. Why is it that good taste seems to be inversely proportional to wealth? Friends don't let friends drive SUVs, unless of course you're one of the small minority who uses them for their intended purpose. Every time I see one on the road, I think of sheep, because that is what the people behind the wheels are. It would be acceptable to drive one if you lived on a ranch, perhaps raising sheep, but if you live downtown, far away from any real sheep, you end up assuming some of the supposed qualities of the animal in question. Herd mentality is only a good survival trait if you happen to be a herd animal. In humans it's kind of silly. Rant over. Have a good night.

cds I listened to while intending to stay up all night: V/A "New Wave of British Heavy Metal - '79 Revisited", Dar Williams "Out There Live", Windy & Carl "A Dream of Blue", and Roy Harper "The BBC Tapes Volume VI"

No comments: