Tuesday, August 05, 2003

A couple of things I forgot to mention yesterday:

I had made a couple of extra nametags for the camp, and since the title of said camp is "Science Sleuths", the nametags ended up being "Sherlock" and "Watson". I was wearing the Sherlock one when the kids were being picked up. A boy's grandmother looked at my nametag and actually thought my name was Sherlock. I convinced her it wasn't. This all came about because she was attempting to get her grandson to thank me by name for the fun-filled morning he had just participated in. He did this as they were leaving. I would have reciprocated in kind, but he had already taken his nametag off, so I just said something like, "bye. See you tomorrow!" When I have a camp of thirteen kids (one never showed), I can never remember all of their names by the end of the first day. I hope the grandma doesn't think I'm undermining her efforts to raise a proper gentleman. Then, on the way home, there was a cop behind me for what seemed like several miles. It's at times like these that I become acutely aware of the fact that my speedometer doesn't work. It also didn't help that we were driving through a snooty, low-speed-limit part of town. I breathed a sigh of relief when he turned off.

Today, we played around with acids and bases, mixing them and painting with them. We also did the "unnature walk", where I hid items along a trail for the kids to find. Nobody found everything. They then convinced me to let them hide the same things for me to find. I didn't find all of them. Of course, they showed no restraint when it came to hiding things directly behind trees and out of sight under rocks.
While I was waiting for them to set this part up, I was sitting at the bottom of the trail playing my wooden, recorder-like instrument. A doe popped her head around a rock, as if to say, "what the heck is that?" I'm not sure if she was enjoying it or not, because at that point all of the kids came back and she bounded away through the underbrush.

I think I'll go have a nap.

cds I listened to while being slightly later than I would have liked: Throwing Muses "In A Doghouse", "University", and "The Curse", Skyclad "Swords of a Thousand Men", and Roy Harper "Lifemask

No comments: