Monday, September 30, 2002

The nights are getting cooler and a carpet of leaves is forming on the lawns and sidewalks. A crescent moon peeks between clouds. I find myself musing about all of the times people have been scared of me. There was a guy tonight who asked if he could use my electronic key fob to get into the gated community I was delivering to. Of course, he was standing in front of the only gate in the complex that foiled my fob. I told him that if he wanted to follow me into the parking garage, I'd let him in through the other door. He seemed reluctant to follow me, like he was afraid I was going to mug him. He kept a good amount of distance between us. Of course, maybe he wanted into the complex so he could rob people. Who knows. On another occasion, some time back, I was running through a different complex and a couple of women thought I was chasing them. I've never seen anybody run in high heels before or since. We must remember that not everybody who runs is out to get you, unless, of course, the person in question is a politician. They're all out to get us. There have been several other occasions when I've caught people off guard and startled the hell out of them. I've hit people in the legs with newspapers. A couple of times, I've raised my arm to throw a paper and people have thought I was about to hit them. I always feel a little bad. I know the fact that I always run the route and am usually dressed all in black means that people are going to be a bit wary of me, but if I slowed down and dressed all in white I would get home later and look absolutely filthy because of all the black newsprint all over my clothes.

Animals spotted tonight: three skunks, eleven egrets (one of them was partially awake!), and one very large slug (hey, somebody has to notice them).

cds I listened to while scaring people: Hot Buttered Xhol, Empyrium "A Wintersunset...", "Songs of Moors and Misty Fields", and "Where at Night the Wood Grouse Plays", Nordisk Sang - songs of Norway, and Death In June "Burial"

Now: Yoik - a presentation of Saami folk music (they're not kidding either - 195 yoiks, arranged geographically from south to north)

No comments: