Friday, September 13, 2002

At first, Mr. Policeman wanted to know why I was driving in circles. I explained to him the logistics of following a route, which occasionally makes it look like I'm doubling back on myself. He seemed somewhat satisfied by this answer. Then, as he handed back my license, he told me to watch for other cars and use my turn signals. That made me mad. I always use my turn signals, even if I don't see any other cars. It's like Mr. Policeman had a little script he was reading from. I told him, "I was using my turn signals."
His response was, "well, uh, kinda slow down, alright?"
What flabby way of trying to get a point across! Does the inclusion of the word "kinda" mean I should slow down some of the time but not always? Maybe it means I have the option of slowing down should I decide I'm getting tired of speeding. Or maybe I should drive like the kid who was in my high school drivers ed. class. This kid, who was a bit more nervous than the rest of us, had a unique way of driving. He would alternate between the gas pedal and the brake pedal in such a fashion that the car would jolt down the street like a scared lizard. Stopstartstopstartstop. Maybe this is what "kinda slow down" means. I think I'll try it. I'll send the bill for my brakes to the police station.

cds I kinda listened to while I kinda drove fast and kinda used my turn signals: Warfare "Metal Anarchy: the best of...", Dead Can Dance "Into the Labyrinth" and "Within the Realm of a Dying Sun", Drawn "Plan Be", and Tiny Tim "Live in London"

Now: Gabriel Yared "Map of the Human Heart" soundtrack

No comments: