Monday, September 09, 2002

Weekends are like mirages. You can see them at a distance, but when you get up close: poof! they vanish. Now it's monday again. I can smell autumn in the air - brown grass, falling leaves, and woodsmoke. The Transit Rider has come and gone (for now, anyway) and has left smiles and a couple of misappropriated rails in its wake. Maybe it will return in January and in June. Friday night, on the way home, I heard a stumble-tongued radio announcer mistakenly refer to the town of Milpitas as "Milpenis". I'll bet he's still living that one down. Some people never graduate from high school even though they graduate from high school, if you catch my drift.

Today was my last day at the museum for a couple of weeks. They're shutting down for their annual renovations. The Alice in Wonderland exhibit is traveling on to another town, only to be replaced by "that horrible Arthur exhibit". Boing! is coming back as well. The last time it was here I sliced open my finger while preparing supplies for the craft part of the exhibit. I left a trail of blood through the museum and they made me go get stitches. I couldn't even get away from it while on vacation. Greg and I went into the Austin children's museum and there it was, mocking me. On the bright side, the new water exhibit should be finished sometime next year.
I brought the python today. He fell asleep under the honeysuckle arbor.

cds I listened to so I didn't have to hear pottymouth radio announcers: Sylvi Alli "Too Near the Ghosts", Ramona the Pest "Little Knives", Current 93 "Maldoror is Dead", Amber Asylum "Frozen in Amber", Low "Paris '99 - Anthony Are You Around?" (thanks Matt!), and Dead Can Dance "A Passage in Time"

now: Zbigniew Preisner "The Decalogue" Melancholy and beauty are one and the same... if done right.

No comments: