Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Pressed For All Time

I spend a lot of time reading, both at home and at work. Goodreads helps me keep track of what I've read, and comes in handy when I wonder exactly how many books I've read in a given year. This year I read 73 books, or 28,058 pages. It doesn't have a breakdown of how many words that is. Here's the page with the list of books. I read a lot more fiction than nonfiction. The line is often blurred anyway. There is a lot of truth in fiction, and a lot of... interpretation (to put it kindly) in nonfiction.

Speaking of reading, I recently got a 1919 edition of Algernon Blackwood's "Pan's Garden", and as I was flipping through it, I discovered that the previous owner had used it to press flowers. Considering that it's a book of nature stories, I guess it's appropriate. I thought it was interesting enough that I'm not even irritated that some of the pages are stained. It adds to the character of the book, I think.


I've got a cold right now, although it's not a horrible one. I'm not working again until New Year's Day, and then only for a few hours. Today, I'm going for a walk to mail a bill payment and get some supplies at the pet store.

No comments: