Sunday, October 05, 2014

Sleeping In

For some reason, after having worked the night shift off and on since 2007, this is the year that I finally seem to be managing to get enough sleep. Although I guess it has only been a couple of years since I have been told to stay awake all night. Last year (or at least the part of the year I was working nights) and the year before, I never seemed to be able to stay in bed much past 2:00 PM. This year, I've managed to sleep until nearly 5:00 a couple of times. I'm not sure what the difference is this year. Maybe I'm more relaxed for some reason. Thursday and Friday this week, despite temperatures in the nineties, I slept the days away.

I even slept in longer than usual on the weekend. The downside to that is it makes the weekends seem shorter. Not that I did much this weekend. I've been a homebody lately. That said, I did leave the house on Friday evening with Jeanine, Eva, and Eva's friend, Jesse to go to the Halloween Haunt at Great America. I really only went to keep Jeanine company while Eva and Jesse had fun. Amusement parks aren't my idea of a good time, mostly due to the crowds. Sure enough, we spent much more time in line than we did inside the various attractions. In more than four hours, we went through three haunted mazes, saw two shows (some sort of zombie dance thing, which was actually pretty entertaining, and something called "Blades of Horror", which was an ice skating show, of all things), and went one one rollercoaster. The rest of the time, we stood in line, wandered around, and ate soft serve ice cream. The ice cream was the best part. Eva went back Saturday night, although to be fair, she mostly goes to hang out with friends. As for me, I'd much rather get into the spirit of things by staying home and watching horror movies. I've just started watching a French TV series called "Les Revenants" (based on the film "They Came Back", which is also excellent), which hits the mark in a subtle, eerie way.

I walked around four miles in the 90 degree heat on Saturday. I might have rethought that if I'd known it was going to get warm. That makes 13 miles I've walked so far this month. Hopefully we'll get some cooler weather soon. While I'm feeling hopeful, let me add rain to the list too.

No comments: