Thursday, October 23, 2014

Poop, Then Salamanders

Around 10:45 PM, as I was working hard reading my book, a cabin leader and a kid came into the hub because the kid had just vomited. At first, I was relieved that he had managed to vomit into a toilet instead of all over himself or onto his pillow or somewhere else equally inconvenient.

Than I noticed the poop smell.

As he stood up from the hub's one bunk bed, I noticed a wet patch where he'd been sitting while I took his temperature. He had been about to just head back to bed without mentioning his poopy pajamas. I tactfully asked him if there was anything else he needed to tell me. After continuing this line of questioning for a couple of minutes, I finally got him to admit that, "while I was throwing up I think I might have pooped and peed my pants."

While taking him over to the shower, I spotted a small Arboreal Salamander on the walkway. I pointed it out to the kid, telling him that at least he got to see a cool salamander which he wouldn't have gotten to see otherwise. He didn't seem too impressed, probably completely focused on the embarrassment of crapping himself at camp. Oh, well. I have to at least try to distract kids however I can during moments like these.

While he was showering, I took a picture of the salamander.


It wasn't until I'd uploaded the picture to Facebook that I noticed there were actually three salamanders in the picture. Can you spot them?

No comments: