Monday, October 13, 2014

Renaissance Faire

Jeanine had Sunday free this weekend, so we found ourselves at the Renaissance Faire. For many people, the faire is an excuse to dress in cleavage-enhancing period costume and/or sport an arsenal of edged weapons, all while speaking in dubious medieval accents. Well, why not?

It was hot, and I imagine a lot of the people in the more elaborate costumes were quietly suffering. We took in some of the shows, which were mildly entertaining. Eva and Willow made candles, although Willow managed to wreck one of hers before we got to the car. I bought a Nepalese flute and a singing bowl because... well, why not? We ate overpriced food. Willow went on the bungee bounce thing:


While I was taking pictures of Willow, I remembered how I used to take pictures of her at various parks when she was little. My camera was out pretty much every time she went down the slide or got on a swing. Her hair would often fall victim to static electricity on the slide, which always made for good photos. Now that she is older, moments are more likely to go unrecorded. She is still a little girl at heart though, and even though we don't often go to city parks, she always wants to do things like the bungee bounce. I'm young at heart too, so I can easily identify with her when it comes to these kinds of things.

After the faire, we stopped at Casa de Fruta next door. I loaded up on salsa, spicy nuts, pickled garlic, and hot sauce. In fact, I think we all got nuts of some sort. Nuts are good road food.

At home, we watched the season premiere of The Walking Dead. The Walking Dead is the TV show that made me break my long-standing rule about not watching TV. I usually watch TV shows on DVD long after they've aired, but my inner zombie nerd dictates that I must watch these as they air. We were not disappointed. I really do think that as far as popular entertainment goes, some of the recent TV shows are giving movies a run for their money. Of course, to offset all of the good quality shows, there are things like Vanilla Ice Goes Amish (which, to be fair, I haven't seen and won't ever see, so I'm basing my derision on the concept alone), or any other reality show I might mention.

No comments: