Friday, July 14, 2006

Xambuca, Richard, and Matt


Xambuca, Richard, and Matt
Originally uploaded by Corbie.
I followed the sunset up the peninsula last night to see a little show at the Hemlock tavern in S.F. featuring Xambuca, Richard, and Matt. It being a Thursday, I actually found parking nearby. Things didn't get going until 10 pm, and I was afraid the bar noise would intrude (the Hemlock stage is in a small room behind a noisy bar) but when the music started I didn't often notice it. Considering they never properly rehearsed for this show, it was quite good, with the sounds fitting together well and conveying a dreamlike atmosphere. Matt rocked out on the bass for awhile too. Of course, if you ask him, the evening was a failure. Parts were on order for a couple of the stage monitors, and attendance was slight, due mostly to it being a work night I suppose. There was also some confusion about whether they were headlining or not (they weren't) and some people missed the show (including Greg, who was not happy).

I concluded the bug camp today. We hiked and did a couple of insect -related craft projects. The kids complained about walking uphill, but then again kids always complain about walking uphill. I saw a coyote while driving up the hill to work yesterday (or was in Wednesday?). It quickly disappeared into the underbrush. I have yet to actually see one while I'm hiking with kids, most likely because kids are loud even when they're trying to be quiet. Not that the kids this week tryed to be quiet very often, of course.

The one sour note to this week was that a couple of nights ago I found what I thought was a mole on my thigh. On closer inspection it was a tick. On even closer inspection it was a Deer tick. This is one of the only arachnids I would rather not find, due to their ability to spread Lyme's Disease. Of course I've been gnawed on by small, biting flies and mosquitos all week too. Maybe I should invest in some insect repellant. The morning after I found the tick, we went shrub shaking (putting a sheet or piece of paper under a shrub, shaking it, and seeing what falls out) and sure enough the first thing that fell out was another Deer tick. This one didn't get lunch.

No comments: