Sunday, July 09, 2006

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum


Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
Originally uploaded by Corbie.
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum played a couple of shows at the Oakland Metro this weekend. Friday, Jen went up with M and I hung out with Willow - they actually got home late enough to make me worry. When I called Jen at 4 am they were nearly home. Saturday, I went up with M and Jen stayed home with Willow. They show ended slightly earlier and I got home before 3. The Museum was in fine form, playing a handful of new songs, including one about Nils' brother Per who passed away last December. On hand at the merchandise table was a dvd of Per's film work. Can't wait for the book of his artwork to become available. As for Nils, Saturday marked his transition from a thirty-something to a forty-something. Happy birthday, Nils.
The nice surprise of the evening was the Edmund Welles bass clarinet quartet. Add them to the growing list of bands using classical or jazz instruments yet sounding distinctly heavy metal. On their cd, they cover songs by Black Sabbath, Sepultura, and... Spinal Tap!

The rest of the weekend has been very unhurried. Due to our late nights, we've slept in. Jen didn't wake up until almost noon yesterday, and I slept in until eleven or so today. Jen has been sewing, and I worked my weekend job earlier, performing at a party for a six-year-old girl and nearly thirty of her friends. Camp starts up again tomorrow, and this week the focus is on bugs.

I just noticed that it's already eleven. How the hell did that happen? At least it's a little cooler now.

No comments: