Thursday, July 20, 2006

Here's a cool blog that popped up on the blogger main page - all about reptiles, mainly those found in and around New Mexico. It's good to find others who share my obsessions. I'll have to go back and read more.

As for the reptile camp I'm teaching this week, we've only found four different types of reptiles on the trail: Western Fence Lizard (of course), Western Rattlesnake, Red-Eared Slider (non-native, but what the hell...), and a somewhat tick-infested Northern Alligator Lizard. I brought the Burmese Python to camp with me today. He's looking his best because he shed last week. The kids were impressed. Coincidentally, there was a story in the paper this morning about a Burmese Python who needed surgery to remove the queen-sized electric blanket he'd swallowed (cord and all!). Apparently the rabbit he was eating got tangled up in it, and he just kept swallowing, as pythons do. I told the kids, and I imagine I'll tell many more kids in the future.

The damn weather isn't giving us a break around here. All the windows are open and the fans are going. I think it's time to get off the computer and go read a book.

No comments: