Monday, July 24, 2006

The heat makes it hard to think. All of our liquid is leaking out through wide open pores as our bodies try in vain to cool us down... Okay, maybe that's a little dramatic. It is pretty damn hot though. I heard that it got up to 109 or 113 locally over the weekend. That's a little higher than the official figures, but it sure felt that hot to me.

On Friday, we went up to see the newest Central Works play, Inspector-General, in Berkeley, where it was hot but not quite as hot as home. We laughed out loud often. It concerns a couple living in a gated community being faced by an intimidating character who asks lots of abrupt questions but supplies no answers. Things unravel. Go see it. I believe this coming weekend is the end of the run.

On Saturday, we went over the hill and hung out at Gwendomama's place to help celebrate her daughter's birthday. The boys didn't come, but Matt did. We managed to erect our borrowed tent after dark with no flashlight, and then managed to sleep in it without it collapsing on us. Lots of people came and went, but the heat just stayed. In the middle of the night, when I was awakened by a crowing rooster, it was hot. Earlier, we cooled off by stripping down to our underwear and splashing in the pool while the girls dressed up in costume and danced around on a little, wooden stage. Lights were strung everywhere, and the combination of location and decoration created an atmosphere that reminded me of some hidden faerieland. I guess all faerielands are hidden, aren't they? If they weren't, they'd be too full of people.

In the morning, we ate wonderful waffles, drank wonderful coffee, and sat around in the stupifying heat and talked a bit before hitting the road.

After getting home, I had to rush off to get supplies for the birthday party I was scheduled to work at. When I finally got to the party, I was relieved to discover that it was in an air-conditioned house. It makes a difference.

Work today was sweltering as well. I foolishly spent a part of it walking around in the chaparral, which was sun-baked and nearly devoid of life. We were looking for reptiles, but before I even got there I was pretty certain any sensible reptile would be deep underground. We did find a couple of scorpions and a jerusalem cricket though. I went through about six or seven bottles of water during the afternoon.

Hope tomorrow is cooler.

No comments: