Monday, July 17, 2006

Some Things Never Change


Some Things Never Change
Originally uploaded by Corbie.
I met up with a group of old friends on Saturday night. We ended up at a place called Elephant Bar that featured a cheesy "on safari" atmosphere and a meaty "only one vegetarian entree" menu. I ordered that entree and endeavored to ignore the life-sized elephant model and imitation frond fans mechanically waving back and forth on the ceiling. Despite this, it was really good to catch up with everybody. I hadn't seen Elliot in over 20 years (we tried to figure it out exactly, but couldn't) and I've only seen the others a handful of times during that time. Wayne arrived late due to traffic - he'd been up at the Berkeley Public Library for a free show by edu-core pioneers Bloodhag, a death metal band that sings about science fiction authors and pelts the audience with mass paperbacks. Upon arrival, Wayne picked me up and flipped me upside down (see picture). Afterwards, some of us went to Robert's place and made fun of his small dog. Kevin, who worked at Tower at the same time as I did, and who can sometimes be heard on the Stanford radio station under the name of Big Chief, was there as well. We told Tower stories. Someday I'll have to tell some of them here. What a ridiculous place it was.

I started another week of science camp today, with a full camp of kindergarten and first-graders. So far, so good. They tire easily though. It's another week of "Radical Reptiles," so we'll probably not see any on the trail.

The temperature has passed "balmy" and now hovers somewhere in the middle of "unpleasant," leaving us all coated in a fine sheen of sweat and wishing it were autumn.

No comments: