Wednesday, July 13, 2005



I was actually kind of excited that the space shuttle was going to be launched today - which meant of course that it would be delayed. My father in law is somewhere in mission control, so there is actually a tenuous personal connection to this particular launch. Perhaps over the weekend it will happen, they say. And yes, I know that there are a billion and one better ways to spend the money. Still, as expensive as the space program is, the scientist in me thinks it's kind of cool. We humans can be so inconsistent.

The scientist in me also thinks that the article in the paper this morning about the possible discovery of a Mammoth fossil in San Jose is pretty cool too. They say, "possible," because the "authorities" haven't examined the bones yet. Could be a cow.

Today was even hotter than yesterday, which is pretty damn hot, especially if one happens to enjoy winter more than summer like I do. The kids were wilting on the hike, so in the afternoon they had the option of swimming, soaking counselors, hanging out in the Nature Lab with snakes, or exploring the creek. The photo of the meadow was taken on the way back from the creek. It's right on top of the San Andeas fault too. The beetle, however, was right on top of our driveway. I see about one of these a year. The last two have been in the vicinity of the driveway. I think they're eating the molding around the garage door. They're still pretty exceptional looking beetles though.

No comments: