Monday, May 23, 2005

Without warning, summer has descended upon us. The windows are all open to cool down the house, and the kids show no sign of getting tired. All of the late light and hot heat is making them restless. We don't really get much of a break around here when the kids keep the same hours as the grownups.

G and M, fresh back from a trip to Vienna earlier this month, are departing for Toronto later this week. I must confess to being a bit jealous. I miss travelling.

I did see a coyote towards the end of last week. Trickster spirit? Seeing wild animals, regardless of what legends/mythologies they're associated with, is always a spiritual experience. They are reminders of a time when people were more connected to natural cycles.

Speaking of animals, one of my coworkers who sleeps up at the school was awakened over the weekend by the cry of a Mountain Lion. She said it sounded like a woman in ecstacy. I've also heard that they can sound like a baby crying. I may decide against letting the kids do a solo walk during the night hike this week, just to be safe.

The kids this week are much more well-behaved than the bunch we had last week. We have better teen volunteers watching over them as well. That's not to say that last week was all bad. There were some really cool kids in my group, at least.
Today I found a family of mice and a small tarantula co-existing under a section of corrugated iron siding. I caught the tarantula and then spent a good deal of time chasing it across my own body as it decided to hide under my backpack and in my hair. I finally caught it when it took refuge in the crotch of my jeans. Good thing it didn't try to bite.

Time to go get the boys to bed now.

No comments: