Wednesday, May 11, 2005

The new computer sometimes decides not to let us online. Tonight it was merciful.

I've seen a couple of new things this week so far. Yesterday we stopped near an old landslide area in a place known as Overlook Grove. On the ground was the biggest pile of scat that I've ever seen. The kids were very excited. I whipped out my measuring tape and measured it (over six inches long) and the kids got sticks and dissected it, finding a lot of animal hair and a foul stench in the process. It could only be Mountain Lion scat. Either that or there's a Bobcat with a sore butt somewhere nearby. It looked pretty fresh too. Kind of exciting. It was really cool to see the kids so enthusiastic over what was essentially a big pile of crap. Future wildlife biologists, every one.

I finally found another adult Giant Salamander too. The last one I found was a California Giant Salamander. Today's find was a Pacific Giant Salamander. As soon as I figure out how to resize photos with the current software I'll post pictures.

The weather has turned sunny too, with occasional fluffy clouds drifting over the hilltops. Tonight's crescent moon was outlined by earthshine, giving the kids something nice to look at as we finished our night hike (not really a night hike a this time of year, due to the fact that only the last ten minutes of it are after dark...)

How crepuscular.

No comments: