Monday, January 17, 2005

Today, Martin Luther King Day, affords us the opportunity to reflect on, amongst other things, pacifism. In all honesty, I squandered this opportunity because we were too busy combatting the rising tide of junk that threatens to overwhelm us if we relax our vigilance for more than a moment. It's not that I don't place importance in the reasons behind this holiday - it's just that, like with many people, the everyday stuff gets in the way. Actually, as far as holidays go, this is one of the more important ones. I just wish that there were more people in the world like Dr. King - people willing to rise above the everyday stuff and go down in history as having made a difference. Of course, we all make a difference in some way. I feel I make a difference at my job, for instance. . .

Okay, this is starting to be a ramble. I just wish more people would get the message, especially those running this country. Stop the fucking violence. Break down barriers wherever they exist. Relax a bit. Smile. Embrace differences. Try something new.

The weekend rushed by without even saying "excuse me" as it brushed past. We were too busy to notice anyway, stooped over picking things up and brushing things off. The garage has a couple of clean patches in it now. The clover out front is now in the yard waste bin. Some of the junk in the backyard is gone. Some shelves inside are neater. Lots of dishes were done. Lizard cages were cleaned. Butts and noses were wiped more times than one would think possible. Floors were picked up and vacuumed. Knitting was done. Books and newspapers were read.

I recycled some Christmas wrapping paper I found in the garage, noting as I separated paper from ribbon and bow that It was all from a year ago. We've got to get out there more often.

I wish I had more time to draw and write. Most of what I write here is rushed - first draft quality only. Not that it's meant to be polished. After all, it's just a journal.

I don't think I mentioned that I got a raise. A smallish one to be sure, but I'm not complaining. We're still in quite a hole financially, so anything that helps us climb out a little more quickly is welcome. We're even talking about selling things on Ebay to bring in extra cash. We'll see...

No comments: