Saturday, January 29, 2005

Our end of the week meeting featured a local geologist who took us around the grounds on a mini geology tour, pointing out a stone culvert slightly offset due to its location atop the San Andreas fault zone, shutter ridges, dried stream beds and all manner of other interesting bits and pieces. Along the way we interrupted a small newt eating its lunch (in this case a worm) and got hailed on. In a way it was strange, with the people who normally lead field classes relegated to the role of student. It was interesting to be in the position of learner on trails where I am normally the teacher. Although there has yet to be a week where I didn't learn something myself while teaching... but you know what I mean. At any rate, I learned enough new facts to make future field class walks down these trails even slower, since I now have all sorts of new things to stop and point out to people. That means I'll be back from class even later than I am now. Oh well.

Lots of information to process. In the meantime, I've been looking at this site with my new 3d glasses. You've got to love meetings where 3d glasses are handed out. I guess this would be a good site for all you cubicle dwellers out there. It's very easy to imagine being in the pictures, away from the boring job and the yelling boss. In fact, why not just quit and go hiking...

At home, feeling masochistic, we took all four kids out to dinner.




Of course, every week I take about five times that number of kids out to lunch in the woods.

No comments: