Thursday, January 06, 2005

The gravity at Lexy's school must be stronger than average, because it pulled Lexy to the ground and broke his arm again - in the same place he broke it a few months ago. Shit.

I found this out at the end of a very nice five hour hike, during which the kids behaved quite well for fifth graders. I was actually worrying about people falling too, if only because I forgot my walkie-talkie. Little did I know that when they did try to reach me that it would be to tell me about Lexy falling.

Ah, well...







These spiders caught some fog this morning, allowing me to finally get a couple of decent web photos. Webs on the web. What next?

And here's a quote from one of my student's journals that I can refer to if I ever start questioning my career choice: "The solo-hike is an unforgettable experience. To express my appreciation to the instructor, I think "thank you" might not be enough."

If indeed people are having unforgettable experiences up in the woods, then they will grow up to be defenders of the woods. The wild places enrich our lives, even if we don't often set foot in them.

No comments: