Tuesday, November 02, 2004

I'll refrain from commenting on the election until all is certain. It looks like things are going to go badly though, and that's a great understatement.

As we hiked through the almost complete darkness under the Redwoods tonight, I often found myself feeling for the trail with my feet. I could see the black on black shapes of trees looming ahead and on all sides, and used them as markers. Then, in the middle of the trail, like a beacon, there appeared a small point of luminescence. Upon closer inspection, it turned out to be a small grub of some sort, like a mealworm, but glowing with a greenish blue light. I walked back along the line of nervous fifth graders and showed it to them. We all agreed that it was a pretty cool thing to find in the middle of the trail in the middle of the woods in the middle of the night.

Later, after the moon had finally risen and I was at home, I looked it up on the internet and discovered that our find was a Glow Worm. It's not really a worm, of course. It's the larva of some sort of fly.

Now we just have to worry about who or what will be this country's beacon in the dark.

No comments: