Tuesday, March 04, 2003

We visited Willow today (of course) and I got to take off my shirt and lay her against my chest, warming her with my own body the way nature intended it to be done. She's so light I could barely feel her. She is totally dependent on those around her for everything. It's funny how in our particular society most people raise their children to be independent when it seems that the natural state of things is interdependence. I suddenly think of a book I read once - the title was (if I remember correctly...) My Name is Chellis and I'm in Recovery From Western Civilization, by Chellis something-or-other. It's hard to divorce yourself from your culture. How do you raise a child without the insidious influence of the dominant culture? We limit ourselves by accepting the status quo. I want things to be better for Willow. As of yet she is unaware of the world around her. How long will she hold on to the dreamtime? How can we weave the dreamtime into reality? How long will the wonder last?

We're going to have to add a carseat to the van. Nathan gets to graduate to a booster seat and The Dickens gets Nathan's old seat. It seems that The Dickens feels she deserves a window seat. We shall see...

And how to change the sleeping arrangements at home...?

cds I listened to while thinking of Willow: Low "Christmas", "One More Reason to Forget", and "Things We Lost in the Fire", Tom Rapp "Sunforest", Spazz "La Revancha", As We Die for... Paradise Lost (tribute cd), and Low/Dirty Three "In the Fishtank"

now: Robert Rich/B. Lustmord "Stalker"

No comments: