Thursday, March 20, 2003

So, we're at war. Bombs and missiles are ending lives. Each one of these deaths is a knife twisted into the soul of a loved one. The wound festers and gives birth to a bright new hate which is aimed right back at the country that gave birth to the people who dropped the bombs and fired the missiles in the first place. And this is supposed to solve what problem? This is supposed to prove what? Why do I even have to remind people that wars don't solve problems? They only exacerbate them.
Here's a scenario I'd like to see: George Bush and Saddam Hussein both tried for crimes against humanity, and through a clerical error ending up as cellmates. Justice doesn't get more poetic than this.

On a related topic, I still have to stop at the little guard booth every night before entering the property occupied by a large, unnamed weapons manufacturer. They've gotten used to seeing me, and all of them now just wave me on through. All except one. This one guy, even though he has seen me many times, still insists on seeing my driver's licence. Is he really that stupid? Is he so afraid to show any personal initiative or individual thought that he wouldn't dream of saying to himself, "that's the same delivery guy who drives through here every night, so I'll just let him through without hassling him." ??? Does he see different things on my driver's licence every time he looks at it?
Tonight I made an exasperated face at him and he got defensive and told me not to give him any crap. That made me mad, so I gave him crap. Then I felt a little better.

And I saw one of those big, safe S.U.V.s the other day - completely upside down. I didn't look like any other cars were involved in the accident either. When the people inside recover from their injuries (assuming the accident wasn't fatal) I hope they go purchase a more sensible vehicle.

cds I listened to on the first day of war: Primordial "Spirit the Earth Aflame" and "The Burning Season", Miranda Sex Garden "Madra" and "Suspiria", Tattle Tale "Sew True", Ray's Vast Basement "On the Banks of the Time", Storm and Her Dirty Mouth "s/t", Kap "Feed Me", and The Katharine Chase Band "The Truth"

No comments: