Wednesday, March 05, 2003

I went to the hospital for Willow's 8 o'clock meal and managed to get her to drink about a third of it. The rest went through her feeding tube, which goes up her nose. She got her little fingers hooked around it a couple of times and managed to pull off some of the tape. It must be pretty uncomfortable. She squirmed and cried a bit as the nurse re-taped it, and then didn't go back to sleep right away. She just looked around a bit, and as I looked back I caught a glimpse of the little girl she'll be someday. She looks a bit like Sophie somehow, although I can't put my finger on exactly why I say that. I didn't leave until she closed her eyes again. I just couldn't. I sat there and rubbed her back until she felt comforted (or until I felt she felt comforted anyway).

The nurse asked me what her middle name was, and I said that we hadn't decided on whether or not she would have one. The nurse said that in the Philippines where she was from the children all got the mother's maiden name as their middle name. That way the mother's family name got carried on in some fashion. You learn something new every day. I told her that for a time in Germany it was legal for a man to take his wife's last name. Of course in the U.S. nothing this interesting ever happens. Culturally, we're a third world country.

cds I listened to while continuing to think about Willow: The Angels of Light "Everything Is Good Here/Please Come Home" (appropriate title), Low "The Curtain Hits the Cast", K./Low split ep, Lucifer Was "Underground and Beyond" and "In Anadi's Bower", Lydia Lunch "Honeymoon In Red", and The Stalin "Stop Jap + Go Go Stalin"

now: Lustmord "The Place Where the Black Stars Hang"

No comments: