Monday, February 03, 2014

Second Week In the Field

The ground at camp is still moist from the tiny bit of rain we got over the weekend, making it feel more like Winter. There is a certain smell in the air after rain, and the moss on the trees still had fronds extended. There was (and is) a definite chill in the air too.

We have another group of bright, well-behaved kids. One girl in my group decided to give herself a nature name she couldn't even pronounce, much less spell. Some kind of dinosaur. Usually I can figure those out, but this time I came up blank, so I asked her to change it to something else.

She chose Micropachycephalosaurus.

Later, the same camper picked up something she found on a stump, asking, "is this scat?". I told her that the time to ask that question is before reaching down and picking things up. As it turned out, it was indeed scat. Grey Fox scat, to be precise. Grey Foxes like taking dumps on top of things. It's how they mark territory. We've been finding scat on top of logs, rocks, and even on top of the big pile of decomposed manure in the garden. Silly creatures. I'm glad people don't mark territory like that.

Speaking of camp. Check out this page. It has interviews with me and many of my coworkers, conducted by Scooby. Scooby always goes above and beyond.

Here are a some photos from last week:



No comments: