Saturday, February 15, 2014

Of Mist and Moondogs

The weather has been wintery, but not wildly so. Misty mornings give way to overcast afternoons, and every so often the mist coalesces into almost-raindrops. Right now, there is an scent to the air that smells like atmospheric indecision, something halfway between Winter and Spring. The dry, warm weather has tricked a lot of plants into blooming early, or so it seems to me.

It even continues to trick the local rattlesnakes. Although I've seen snakes during every month of the year (one of the benefits to living in California), it is still unusual to find rattlesnakes in February. This is the same rattlesnake from last week, resting in nearly the same place.


This illustrates what a typical morning at camp has looked like over the past couple of weeks:


The camp week flew by uneventfully. The kids were good, with only a couple of them being annoyingly immature. I did pretty much the same things I did the previous week, although the scorpion I've been finding on Mondays has moved. In its place this Monday was a male Calisoga spider. The Wednesday night hike was beautiful, with an enormous moondog circling the moon and almost seeming to bisect Jupiter, and puddles of moonlight gleaming in the forest.

During our visit to the chaparral earlier in the day, the trail was suddenly full of robins. There must have been 15 or 20 of them. They were probably looking for unwary invertebrates.

Jeanine is at work right now, and the girls are at the mall. This is the first time that Willow has walked to the mall with Eva and her friends, and it's a bit of a walk (perhaps 2 miles). I'm still not completely comfortable letting her do that, but I've always been a bit disdainful of parents who over-shelter their children (mostly because I have to deal with the results of it at camp) so off she went. Plus, there's no way I want to spend any time in any mall if I can avoid it. I think they'll have a better time without me anyway. Jeanine is going to pick them up after she is done working, and then we'll spend our Saturday evening together.

No comments: