Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Night of the Living Clowns

The stars are diamonds in ink, although a cataract of cloud is advancing. I'm back on the night shift this week, although only for a couple of nights since the holiday snipped off the first one and my constant desire to experience live music will be snipping off the last one.

After I met with the cabin leaders tonight, I sent them back to join the campers down at the hillside amphitheater, where they were just finishing up the campfire program. One cabin leader lingered in the staff room, and then asked if he could stay there for a little bit. It turned out that one of the teachers was dressed up like a clown (for a skit) and the cabin leader was scared to go near him while he was in his clown outfit.

I remember being afraid of clowns when I was a kid - when I was maybe 3 or 4 years old. The cabin leaders are all in high school though. It's moments like this that remind me that we have kids watching over the kids.

With that in mind, I realize that, not counting the three sleeping teachers, I'm really the only adult here. This week I'm in charge of 111 sleeping 6th graders and 11 cabin leaders, at least one of whom is terrified of clowns. I can only imagine what the others are scared of.

Currently listening to: Bohren & der Club of Gore "Piano Nights"

No comments: