Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Teaching About Turtles


Teaching About Turtles
Originally uploaded by Corbie.
Summer has arrived right on schedule, with hot, sticky weather. At 10:15 pm, as I write, it's still warm enough to be uncomfortable. In the other room, Willow is going to sleep for the first time without a diaper. Fingers crossed...

We found a pretty impressive turtle down at the pond today. Even more impressive was the fact that when I stepped into the pond after it, its only reaction was to tuck its head into its shell. Every other time I've tried to get closer to a turtle, it has slipped into the water before the dust has settled from my first step towards it. Maybe this one was newly released. It sure wasn't a native turtle. People think that they can drop their damned pets anywhere. At any rate, I'm pretty sure that it's a Painted Turtle, which is supposed to live on the East Coast.

Yesterday I had the pleasure of showing recordists William and Sherri around up near work. Being from Toronto, they hadn't gotten to experience the Redwoods before. Willow and Sophie came along to, and soon tired us out with their incessant requests to be swung between us as we walked. I showed them the little nest that had contained eggs a week or so ago, only to find it full of tiny little baby birds. Later, the Skink that I'd thought was gravid on the last visit proved me right - it was now sitting next to a little clutch of eggs. Nice to be out there in the woods with friends.
After all of this, we went back home where Jen had whipped up some chili. We got to hang out for a short little time before William and Sherri had to get to the airport. This time I remembered that Canadian flights are in the domestic terminal.

No comments: