Saturday, June 24, 2006

No Mean Feet


No Mean Feet
Originally uploaded by Corbie.
The idea of going to the beach every week is a great one. I'd even settle for every other week. The evening we chose to go was hot on this side of the hill, but on the beach side it was foggy and cool. It didn't matter. In fact, it felt really good. The girls had little spasms of joy as they splashed in the sea foam. The boys spent a lot of time digging a hole. I spent a lot of time running after the girls. Jen and M mostly stuck to the beach blanket. I'm glad we live near the ocean. It's past time to start taking advantage of that fact. There's nothing quite like looking out to sea and imagining the distances and depths involved. There still is mystery in the world.

Also very mysterious was the fact that I went to an interview for the job I already have, and the interviewers were two of my coworkers. It's just one more bureaucratic hoop that all of us full time/part year employees must hop through in the mad rush for guaranteed work and benefits. They should free up more money for our program so that all of the employees can have benefits. But this is the real world, so the lumbering behemoth of bureaucracy must first take its toll.

A week of reptile camp is behind me, and a week back at my accustomed site awaits. I'll be jumping back and forth between summer camp programs for the next few weeks, just to keep things interesting (actually, in the spirit of total disclosure, I work as many weeks as I can at the one with the bigger paycheck, and fill in the gaps with the other one). They're both great programs, unlike a certain other program we spotted this week. We had been wondering for awhile now who had been building the ugly, dangerous shelters out of Redwood branches in one of the groves used by both programs. It turns out it was a third entity, and the kids in the group couldn't have been much older than six or seven. The rangers have been alerted.

Right now it's hot, and likely to stay that way for the foreseeable future. More beach time is definitely needed.

No comments: