Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Evening Falls


Evening Falls
Originally uploaded by Corbie.
The right light, or the right absence of light, can really make a room look much more interesting than it really is. Cleaner too.

I did actually do some cleaning in our room this weekend - I pulled everything out from under the bed and vacuumed. What is under the bed?, you ask. Well, now that the dust and random objects lost by the kids have been removed, there are giftwrapping supplies and boxes and boxes of cassettes. Vinyl in the linen closet, cassettes under the bed, cds everywhere else...

We all went to pick Jen up at the San Jose airport on Monday, and we're glad that she's back, even though the boys griped about their gifts a bit. A couple of hours later, I went to SFO to greet a couple of Canadian recordists who are here to participate in the Nurse With Wound shows at the Great American Music Hall this coming weekend. My brother (who relies on public transportation and the pity of the vehicled) was there as well, since they're staying with him this week. After walking the length of the domestic and international terminals (why the hell do flights from Canada always disembark at a gate somewhere in the domestic terminal?? More importantly, why the hell do I always forget this?), we drove over the Bay Bridge and spent way too much time in a coffee shop in Berkeley talking delirously about the usual random things that the sleep-deprived go on about. I got home well after two in the morning and then got up again several hours later to go help set up summer camp.

The first item on my "to do" list ended up being the removal of all of the accumulated aluminum cans from the last several months. This involved sorting out all of the non-aluminum stuff that had gotten mixed in, bagging everything, and heaving the dripping sacks into my car. Fifteen minutes later I discovered that the recycling center had apparently been recycled, and is now a construction yard well on its way to becoming a business park. A quick stop home and a hurried perusal of the phone book sent me on a mission to a more distant recycling center, where my quest ended in success. I even had a pleasant conversation with an old man who said he made about a thousand bucks a month gathering bits of metal from the side of the road. I wish more people would consider this line of work, because some of the local freeways look like they're halfway to becoming landfills.
From there, I went and got a couple of new tires put on my car, since I'd been driving on one of those irritating little spares for the better part of a week now (sudden flat tire last week sometime). The rest of my duties this week have been varied and even less interesting. Let it suffice to say that summer camp will indeed happen again this year.

No comments: