Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Pond Hair


Pond Hair
Originally uploaded by Corbie.
The pond at work is so choked with Duckweed, Elodia, and Bullfrogs that the native plants and animals have nowhere to go. Somebody even saw a Bullfrog eating a small Garter snake last week. There are at least two non-native species of turtles hanging around as well, arrogantly basking in the sun like they own the place.

For the last two afternoons, I've taken a group of campers down there to help clean things up a bit. I've gone into the pond both days, although campers only came in today. We spent a lot of time pushing all of the muck over to the wall where the pond meets the road, so that our accomplices on the road, using nets and a rake, could haul Duckweed and Elodia out onto the asphalt, throwing back any aquatic insects or Crayfish tangled up in the mess. We did catch a couple of frogs and some tadpoles as well, but didn't take them with us. I still have the ones from last summer living in a tank in the backyard because I'm too soft-hearted to kill them outright. I've been thinking about finding out if the Water Monitor will eat them. I bet he would, but I'm not sure if it would be good for him. We'll see, I guess.

No comments: