Wednesday, March 01, 2006

We saw phosphorescent fungus on the night hike tonight! A small tree had snapped off in the wind earlier in the week, and the portion of its interior thus exposed was enveloped in a ghostlike glow. And all of this happened right after I got finished telling my glow worm story. There's nothing like a bit of real phosphorescence to lend credence to a story that is ninety percent fabrication. After we all finished marvelling at the fungus, we hiked up to the front lawn and looked at Saturn and Titan through the telescope. After the kids went off to bed, I got in my car and promptly had to wait fifteen minutes while some utility guy in a cherry picker fiddled about with the power lines. It's kind of funny that finding the fungus and having to wait on the road were both a direct result of Monday night's storm. We need more fungus and less waiting, in my opinion.

On an entirely unrelated note, here's a picture of me stagediving back when I was young and immortal. I look like I'm attempting to fly.

No comments: