Sunday, March 12, 2006

On Friday, during the weekly end-of-camp closing ceremony, snow started falling. It was only a few flakes, but it drew cheers from the kids. It wasn't until after they'd left that it really started coming down. Granted, most of it melted the minute it touched the ground, but there was enough to make a few slushy snowballs with. I did so, and had fun throwing them too. It's not something I often get to do. In fact, I don't think I've seen it snow since I was in the second or third grade. I've been in snow since then, but it has always been after the fact snow. Because of this absence of snow in my life, I just kind of sat and marvelled at the beauty of it all, watching the snowflakes drift here and there, tossed by the wind. The trees in the upper elevations were blanketed, and the front lawn was mostly white. My car windshield was half covered. It made me feel like a kid again.

By the time our Friday staff meeting was finished, most of the snow had already melted.

On Saturday, I saw the elementary school stage version of Peter Pan, in which Alex was a pirate and Nate was an indian. Alex made a convincing pirate, even though he fidgeted with his parrot and eyepatch. Nate was a very serious indian, and was really good during the dancing bit. Of course, this is a boy who does backflips on the couch, so any athleticism coming from him should be no surprise. Much to the chagrin of the boys, Sophie managed to end up on stage during the final bows. There is just no stopping that girl.
Also of note were the set design and the girl who played Wendy, who could really sing. Not of note were the music and sound system. The running time (slightly under three hours, including intermission) could have been reduced. Perhaps some of the songs could have been excised. Oh well, the kids had a good time.

As I was driving M over the hill today, we saw several carloads of people scrabbling in the muddy snow near the summit. Perhaps they were trying to make snowmen or snowballs. People who live in places where it snows on a regular basis would die laughing at the sight, no doubt.

No comments: