Wednesday, November 30, 2005


It's getting pretty windy outside, with rain slated to fall soon. Earlier it was sunny, with steam rising from the moist ground and trees. I found an Arboreal Salamander in the Chaparral, along with the usual assortment of scorpions, mice, lizards, and other salamanders. It's just that I don't often see Arboreal Salamanders, so I was happy to find one. I always tell the kids that looking for wildlife is like going on a treasure hunt. Of course in this case we never keep the treasure. I took a picture instead.

I had to talk above the wind on the night hike, and everytime I lit a candle for an activity, the wind blew it out. Despite this, or perhaps because of it, we all had a good time. The wind always energizes me.

It's a new moon today. One would think it would be dark outside, but due to all of the city lights and the low clouds which reflect them, it is quite light. We had no trouble seeing the trails during the night hike.

No comments: