Monday, November 07, 2005




I went and saw the second Current 93 show on Saturday night, this time by myself, which is just as well since I didn't get back until after 4 in the morning. No babysitter would stand for such a late return home. Maja Elliot started things off with some astounding piano playing and beautiful singing. Her ethereal voice provided a nice counterpart to the waves of notes rolling from piano. She did one song acapella, singing along with a backing tape of other voices. Very nice indeed. Ben Chasny, as Six Organs of Admittance, played next, alternately playing quiet melodies and savage bursts of guitar noise, with his delicate voice gluing it all together. Next up was Andria, playing as Pantaleimon on a dulcimer and harmonium (the borrowing of which was arranged by G at the last minute - I wonder what would have happened if he hadn't managed to get it...) and accompanied by acoustic guitar. The old songs were great as usual, and the new ones were sublime. She even had the good sense to drink Kombucha on stage (and is actually responsible to introducing me to the stuff - expensive but good!). Then Om flattened the place again, followed by Current 93, who did pretty much the same set as Friday, albeit in a different order. Absolutely stunning, as usual.

I ran into more old friends. The last time I saw Ann she was pregnant. Now her son is one and a half. Very cute kid, judging by the pictures she showed me. The last time I saw Steve he was living in San Jose. Now he lives in Idaho, where he and his wife have bought a house. Good for him! His label is releasing a split 10" record by Om and Current 93 sometime next year. Can't wait.

Aferwards, we went downstairs and hung out and talked until well past everybody's bedtime. There was some uncertainty about what everybody was doing the next day, although I knew that I wasn't going to the 9:30 breakfast that people were planning on. Too damn early, especially if I factored in the hour it would take me to get there. As it was, I ended up being one of the last six or seven people at the club.

The next day, Jen, Nate, Sophie, Willow, and I went up to hang out at Dawn and Nil's place for a belated birthday get-together for Dawn. We brought food (pumpkin cake and rosemary focaccia made by Jen!) and spent a wonderful time just relaxing (as much as people can relax with three young kids in tow). Lots of great food made by others as well. Jen and Nate stayed behind at the house (Nate wanted to play cards) while a bunch of the rest of us went for a hike in the foothills. The girls had a great time, as did I.

Today it's raining. I worked the campfire tonight, although being inside the dining hall and without an actual fire, it should probably be called something else. It was great fun, as usual, and at the end of it all I was covered in sweat and losing my voice. That's the way it should be.

On the way home, I enjoyed watching the leaves being blown all over the already leaf-encrusted streets. I love this time of year!

As for the photos - the first one is Current 93, the second is Nils with an unfortunate orange, and the third is a group of miscreants clowning around after the show. Taken by Baby Dee, if I remember correctly.

No comments: